Hi and welcome! I’m Joanna. Here are my kids, Carter and Aila, and my husband, Andy.
Here are some facts about me in no particular order:
- I will do anything for a homemade chocolate chip cookie.
- I have absolutely no sense of direction.
- I am an INFJ.
- Yellow is my favorite color.
- I am an educator. I believe that teaching is an art and that education is empowerment. I’ve worked in urban schools and criminal justice for the past ten years.
- Depending on the season, I’d rather be in baggy sweatpants, a hoodie and some fuzzy socks or barefoot in a muumuu. Lucky for me, my husband has a deranged sense of sexy and he thinks both of these get-ups are hot. Or at least that’s what he tells me.
- I love to eat. I’m all about second dinner and midnight snacks.
- I’m LDS. I’m one of those crazy Mormons. I joined the church right before I went to college and I served a mission in Taiwan. I was one of those smiley people biking around trying to talk to you about Jesus.
- I come from a family that talks about poop the way most people talk about the weather. It comes up in just about every conversation and especially during meals.
- I detest feet. Baby feet are an exception.
- I am Chinese and proud of my heritage and identity.
- I write children’s books. We need diverse books and I write to give voice to stories untold.
- I love to dance. I studied traditional West African dance for a year in Ghana, and was a member of an African drum and dance troupe in college. I’m trying to teach Carter and Aila my sweet moves.
- I’m wearing some type of overalls in the majority of my school photos from middle school through senior year. This is because I was on the cutting edge of fashion and very very cool.
That’s me in a nutshell. I hope you enjoy this little journal of the thoughts, experiences and pictures that capture some of the memories and learnings of my journey in life!